The 2012 edition is titled "Electric Shadows" and takes place from October 12 to 14. Kontraste 2012 is a leap into the void with audiovisual experiments that manipulate analogue and digital signals to amplify our senses, investigate the dark, and explore cosmological unknowns.
Humans are only able to perceive a narrow bandwidth of the electromagnetic spectrum. The rest is 'dark' to us. Reality is teeming with electromagnetism, and the universe is full of dark matter and dark energy. Art alludes to these unknowns and functions as an instrument to make them perceivable in a mediated or metaphorical form, presenting 'electric shadows' of unexplored phenomena that exist beyond our perception.
Here is a glimpse of what you can expect to see and hear:
Synchronator Orchestra featuring: Gert-Jan Prins, Bas van Koolwijk, Jérôme Noetinger, Justin Bennett & Billy Roisz; Sandra Gibson, Luis Recorder & Olivia Block; Maja Ratke & HC Gilje; Bruce McClure; Makino Takashi; Optical Machines; Raviv Ganchrow; Matthew Biederman and many more
Aberration of Light: Dark Chamber Disclosure by Sandra Gibson, Luis Recoder and Olivia Block. An expanded cinema performance in which Gibson and Recoder use a system of film loops, crystals and hand gestures to bend, reflect and refract the projectors beam, transforming the church space into a sculpture of light, blending with Olivia Blocks mixing of field recordings and live instruments.
An exciting audiovisual duet of Maja Ratkje and HC Gilje: Ratkje's voice and live electronics are accompanied by HC Gilje's a spatial light show.
World premiere of the Synchronator Orchestra. On invitation of the Kontraste festival Gert-Jan Prins and Bas van Koolwijk, the inventors of the Synchronator, have put together an orchestra of artists who play this device. Featuring Gert-Jan Prins, Bas van Koolwijk, Jérôme Noetinger, Billy Roisz and Justin Bennett. They join forces to create an audiovisual spectacle, an analogue noise extravaganza, giving free reign to pure signals.
- Scottish Ensemble to perform Alex Smoke's Faust score
- Aphex Twin's Remote Orchestra in the UK this October
- Pandora's Box new live score
- Upload Festival in London, this month
- Die Frau im Mond film screening with live soundtrack by...
- Exquisite Corps - Sacramento based fresh new music
- Mutek 2013 - call for submissions
- Sonar Festival to commence eight city debut tour of North...
- Benny Benassi releases the next Toolroom Knights compilation
- Steve Mac & Mark Brown release new EP
- Most known czech DJane Lucca will release her debut album
- Feature: RPR Sound, A successful story
- Event Report: Border Community at The End, London
- Phone talk with Simian Mobile Disco
- Russian artist Bobina to release the third artist album
September 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM CEST