The Club World Awards, hosted by Club Systems International, announced the 2005 "disco globe" winners, originally revealed in a star-studded ceremony during Miami's Winter Music Conference that almost didn't happen. The call came in at noon on the day of the ceremony: After a series of unfortunate events, original host venue Nocturnal wouldn't be ready to open in time. Club World organizers were hoping for the best but expected the worst: Nocturnal's Monday and Tuesday events had also been cancelled. Nevertheless, Nocturnal management found the ceremony a surrogate venue – Pure, on the downtown Miami waterfront – and Club World staff spent ten harried hours burning through cell phone batteries to get the word out on the venue change. By 11 p.m., Pure was hopping with all the nominees and VIPs who had RSVP-ed for Nocturnal.
Among the winners, New York City reigned with a whopping eight (of a possible 11) awards, proving once again that the city still doesn't sleep. Crobar took all four of its nominations, including Best Superclub, Best Lighting System (SJ Lighting), Best Video System (Artfag & V Squared Labs) and Best Interior Design (BigTime Design & ICRAVE Design Studio). Cielo was named Best Club, and its Deep Space resident Francois K took Best Resident DJ honors, proclaiming that Monday nights are as good as any to go out. Sullivan Room came away with the people's choice NightStalker Award, voted on by the clubbing public – a clear testament to its popularity with the musically-minded clubbing set. And homegrown Sunday night favorite Asseteria won Best Party, showing that clubland still has a playfully deviant soul.
Winners were chosen by a panel of 12 industry-expert judges using a weighted ranking system. Despite the last-minute location switch, The Club World Awards was a huge success, drawing over 400 crème de la crème attendees.
CLUB WORLD AWARD WINNERS 2005
Best Superclub: Crobar, New York
Best Club: Cielo, New York
Best Lounge: Tabu, Las Vegas
Best New: Compound, Atlanta
Best Sound System: Mansion, Miami Phazon & Sound Investment; Rain, Las Vegas, Infinite Audio (Tie)
Best Lighting System: Crobar, SJ Lighting
Best Video System: Crobar, Artfag & V Squared Labs
Best Interior Design: Crobar, BigTime Design & ICRAVE Design Studio
Best Party: Asseteria, New York
Best Resident: DJ Francois K, Deep Space at Cielo
Best DJ Product: Denon DN-S1000
Best Sound Product Or Series: Turbosound Aspect Series
Best Lighting Product Or Series: High End Systems DL2
Best Video Product: Pioneer DVJ-X1
Best Effect Product: Jem Hydra
Best LED Product: Color Kinetics iColor Flex SL
NightStalker Award: Sullivan Room, New York
- Scottish Ensemble to perform Alex Smoke's Faust score
- Aphex Twin's Remote Orchestra in the UK this October
- Pandora's Box new live score
- Upload Festival in London, this month
- Die Frau im Mond film screening with live soundtrack by...
- Exquisite Corps - Sacramento based fresh new music
- Mutek 2013 - call for submissions
- Sonar Festival to commence eight city debut tour of North...
- Kontraste festival 2012 in Krems, Austria
- Benny Benassi releases the next Toolroom Knights compilation
- Steve Mac & Mark Brown release new EP
- Most known czech DJane Lucca will release her debut album
- Feature: RPR Sound, A successful story
- Event Report: Border Community at The End, London
- Phone talk with Simian Mobile Disco
May 3, 2005 at 11:23 PM CEST