The unique design is the convergence of a high performance DJ mixer, a top spec multi-channel USB soundcard, and a comprehensive MIDI control surface, offering a performance workstation that integrates all the tools of the modern DJ.
The mixer section is derived from the industry-standard Xone:92 and Xone:62 designs, featuring four multi-input stereo channels, 3-band total kill EQ, a comprehensive cue system, two stereo returns, headphone monitor with mix/cue control, and high quality dual rail faders. 3D contains the Xone range's trademark VCF filters, offering low-pass, band-pass, and high-pass selection; resonance and frequency filters; plus there is an assignable LFO with depth control. The master section has two effects sends with pre/post fader selection, and there is a VCA cross fader.
The USB soundcard has eight channels, arranged in stereo pairs, which can operate in two modes - six channels from a PC and two returns, or four channels from a PC and four returns. Using individual professional audio standard 24bit stereo converters with an audio sampling rate of 48 kHz, the card's design guarantees the best possible sound quality from laptops and PCs. The soundcard can be fed from the main mix, FX1, or direct from the channels, and features a SPDIF optical and coaxial interface. Also, the USB connection sends and receives both audio and MIDI data to and from the PC, and can be used to update firmware and set mixer configuration data
There are dedicated MIDI control sections either side of the mixer, with a total of eight dedicated control faders, 16 rotary controls with centre detent, 10 encoders, 50 switches, and two custom jog wheels with micro switches, which can be mapped for use as navigation controls for DJ software such as Ableton Live and Traktor. Xone:3D can send a total of 105 different MIDI control messages from the dedicated control sections, audio channel faders and cross fader, to the 3D's MIDI out socket and via the USB interface to the PC.
An automatic beat detector synchronizes the MIDI clock to the main mix, the FX2 mix buss, or can be disabled to allow the beat to be manually tapped-in. The 3D also has connections for a footswitch controller and a game port socket for a standard analogue joystick that can also be used as a second MIDI output.
"Technology is leading us into a very exciting and new form of DJ'ing," comments Chris Liebing. "Allen & Heath's Xone:3D is a huge step forward into that future. More fun for the DJ, more fun for the crowd!"
- Scottish Ensemble to perform Alex Smoke's Faust score
- Aphex Twin's Remote Orchestra in the UK this October
- Pandora's Box new live score
- Upload Festival in London, this month
- Die Frau im Mond film screening with live soundtrack by...
- Exquisite Corps - Sacramento based fresh new music
- Mutek 2013 - call for submissions
- Sonar Festival to commence eight city debut tour of North...
- Kontraste festival 2012 in Krems, Austria
- Benny Benassi releases the next Toolroom Knights compilation
- Steve Mac & Mark Brown release new EP
- Most known czech DJane Lucca will release her debut album
- Feature: RPR Sound, A successful story
- Event Report: Border Community at The End, London
- Phone talk with Simian Mobile Disco
January 21, 2006 at 7:57 PM CET