Watt himself headlines in the main room where his recent DJ sets have sharply blended his natural warmth and deep soul with fresh Acid-streaked, dubbed-out tech-funk and taut Deutsche beats, and he invites back one of Germany's most gifted DJs, Ian Pooley, to join him. Pooley's roots stretch back to his revered early Techno experimentalism through late 90's crossover success and Afro-Latin beauty to today's renewed electro-infused muscularity.
In the lounge, Buzzin' Fly presents Portuguese underground star, Alex S,
whose role whether as one third of Franco-Portuguese house supergroup Rodamaal, or as frontman for his new feted collective Darkmountaingroup, have made him one of Europe's hottest talents. He is joined by special guest, Jimpster (aka Jamie Odell) from London's superbly adventurous Freerange Records and long-time Buzzin' Fly resident, Chris Woodward.
As a bonus, Buzzin' Fly presents two live performances in the main room.
Lisbon diva Claudia Franco (Rodamaal, Darkmountaingroup) flies in to deliver her sultry robotic vocals over label hits 'Insomnia' and 'Lose Control' and Washington DC's Aswan (aka Tyra) promises Automagic's evergreen crowd favourite, 'Do You Feel?'.
If there is a reason behind the continued rise of the label it is in its
seemingly effortless absorption of the recent abrasive minimalist and electro challenge to its deep melodic roots. Recent cuts from Moscow's Kayot and Lisbon's Darkmountaingroup have been two of Buzzin' Fly's biggest success stories, drawing heavyweight peaktime and backroom plaudits from Berlin to San Francisco for their modern accessible fusion of styles ('Deep house for the electro generation,' as Terry Farley so memorably said) and the approach is certainly reflected in the sets and performances promised at this latest event.
Buzzin' Fly Spring Session @ The End
Friday March 24
Ian Pooley (NRK, Pooled Music / Berlin)
Jimpster (Audiomontage, Freerange Records / London)
Alex S (Rodamaal, Darkmountaingroup / Lisbon)
Claudia Franco (Lisbon)
Aswan (Washington DC)
10PM - 6AM
£12 (£10 NUS)
- Scottish Ensemble to perform Alex Smoke's Faust score
- Aphex Twin's Remote Orchestra in the UK this October
- Pandora's Box new live score
- Upload Festival in London, this month
- Die Frau im Mond film screening with live soundtrack by...
- Exquisite Corps - Sacramento based fresh new music
- Mutek 2013 - call for submissions
- Sonar Festival to commence eight city debut tour of North...
- Kontraste festival 2012 in Krems, Austria
- Benny Benassi releases the next Toolroom Knights compilation
- Steve Mac & Mark Brown release new EP
- Most known czech DJane Lucca will release her debut album
- Feature: RPR Sound, A successful story
- Event Report: Border Community at The End, London
- Phone talk with Simian Mobile Disco
March 20, 2006 at 2:03 AM CET