Recent cuts from Moscow's Kayot and Lisbon's Darkmountaingroup have moved floors and minds for the label's longtime deep house supporters but critically, for the imprint's ascendancy, for East London and Berlin's darker and more progressive DJs too.
In fact it is a show of the esteem in which Ben Watt holds his roster that three-quarters of the mix is comprised of Buzzin' Fly artists, each track notable for its variety and diversity. Early on, the blissedout electro of Kayot is thrustingly re-worked by Lyon's deep dons, Manoo and Francois Aymonier. Darkmountaingroup's Acid-soul floor-buster, 'Lose Control' then tightens the grip until the atmospheric melancholia of Franco-Portuguese trio, Rodamaal and Detroit's Lephtee perfectly set up the beatless ambient close.
In between, Watt hand-picks five modernist classics to join the dots, drawing on the edgy beauty of Fairmont's 'Gazebo' from James Holden's Border Community label, the exhilarating deep drive of The Timewriter's little-known remix for Hungary's Budai and Vic ('I Love Deep'), John Tejada's pared-down electro elegance, the serene techno of Madoka, and Copenhagen's Martinez's jabbing and swirling remix of Jussi-Pekka's 'Stereo Interleaved! (presented here in Watt's complete back-to-front re-edit that weaves through an inspired three minute intermix with Kayot's 'Clear Sky').
Melodic, honest and at times painfully melancholic, yet throroughly crisp and modern, this is surely the work of a DJ and label chief at the top of his game.
Buzzin' Fly will celebrate the release of their 3rd album on June 16 at The End in London.
- Scottish Ensemble to perform Alex Smoke's Faust score
- Aphex Twin's Remote Orchestra in the UK this October
- Pandora's Box new live score
- Upload Festival in London, this month
- Die Frau im Mond film screening with live soundtrack by...
- Exquisite Corps - Sacramento based fresh new music
- Mutek 2013 - call for submissions
- Sonar Festival to commence eight city debut tour of North...
- Kontraste festival 2012 in Krems, Austria
- Benny Benassi releases the next Toolroom Knights compilation
- Steve Mac & Mark Brown release new EP
- Most known czech DJane Lucca will release her debut album
- Feature: RPR Sound, A successful story
- Event Report: Border Community at The End, London
- Phone talk with Simian Mobile Disco
April 20, 2006 at 4:43 PM CEST