It may have been the attributes of the individuals themselves, or the wide spectrum of art and music afforded by the vibrant backdrop of their local Barcelona, or even the transitions in technology that characterised the later stages of the 1990's that enabled Sonar to develop into a truly original festival concept. In reality it was probably a combination of all of the above.
Regardless, Sonar, with the guidance of Palau and company, has evolved from humble beginnings into the premier electronic music and multimedia art showcase in the world today. This argument is supported by the increased attendance figures, with just over 5,000 in 1994 to an estimated 91,000 in 2006. At the very start of the journey, an experimental music policy was the core component of Sonar and this is a theme that has continued throughout its history. So too has been the refreshing approach of treating DJ's as performers, not just somebody who plays other people's records. This has resulted in the most diverse schedule of the festival season, with DJ's allowed the artistic freedom to perform live, or to introduce new concepts with the full support of Sonar as a platform.
Beat Factor full Sonar 2006 coverage:
Sonar 2006 Event Report - Day 1
Sonar 2006 Event Report - Day 2
Sonar 2006 Event Report - Day 3
- Scottish Ensemble to perform Alex Smoke's Faust score
- Aphex Twin's Remote Orchestra in the UK this October
- Pandora's Box new live score
- Upload Festival in London, this month
- Die Frau im Mond film screening with live soundtrack by...
- Exquisite Corps - Sacramento based fresh new music
- Mutek 2013 - call for submissions
- Sonar Festival to commence eight city debut tour of North...
- Kontraste festival 2012 in Krems, Austria
- Benny Benassi releases the next Toolroom Knights compilation
- Steve Mac & Mark Brown release new EP
- Most known czech DJane Lucca will release her debut album
- Feature: RPR Sound, A successful story
- Event Report: Border Community at The End, London
- Phone talk with Simian Mobile Disco
July 12, 2006 at 12:01 AM CEST