Marking a year long correlation between musical development and the progression of time, the original series consisted of 24 tracks spread over twelve monthly 12 inch singles and was strictly limited to 2000 copies per release. However, before the release of the Concept 1 96:CD in February 1998, Thomas Brinkmann made the trip from Germany to Windsor to play Hawtin some of his "Variations" of the series. The results were mind blowing - even by Hawtin's standards - opening up a space where emptiness and substance neatly overlapped to conjure up sounds that no one had ever heard
It started back in Cologne where Brinkmann had employed the Concept 1 series as part of an experiment together with his own custom built turntable system (including a 30 kilo plate and 2 SME 309 tone arms utilizing both Ortofon and Van Den Hul moving-coil pick-ups). By playing Hawtin's original compositions on his two-arm turntable - slowing down the speed of the records and separating the left and right channels - Brinkmann identified previously unheard dynamics within the recordings and a melodic displacement between the channels. Even the imperfections of the vinyl pressing process added new character to his variations.
Essentially the Variations contain the same information as the original Concepts. Like the idea of cloning twins, Brinkmann has taken Richie's DNA and nurtured subtle mutations to create a strangely familiar but altogether
different set of grooves, allowing us to hear what he hears by enhancing something that was there but unheard until now in a triumph of sensibility over creativity.
RICHIE HAWTIN | CONCEPT 1 will be released on M_Nus Records on September 29.
- Scottish Ensemble to perform Alex Smoke's Faust score
- Aphex Twin's Remote Orchestra in the UK this October
- Pandora's Box new live score
- Upload Festival in London, this month
- Die Frau im Mond film screening with live soundtrack by...
- Exquisite Corps - Sacramento based fresh new music
- Mutek 2013 - call for submissions
- Sonar Festival to commence eight city debut tour of North...
- Kontraste festival 2012 in Krems, Austria
- Benny Benassi releases the next Toolroom Knights compilation
- Steve Mac & Mark Brown release new EP
- Most known czech DJane Lucca will release her debut album
- Feature: RPR Sound, A successful story
- Event Report: Border Community at The End, London
- Phone talk with Simian Mobile Disco
September 4, 2007 at 9:00 PM CEST