There are DJs who grab bigger headlines, and producers who invite more press. In the ebb and flow of what's popular in electronic music, there are those who attract larger followings or whose names are on more bloggers' fingertips at any given moment in time. But no artist in the genre commands as much respect, from fans and peers alike, as consistently and influentially as Detroit-based DJ and producer, Carl Craig. As an artist, a label-owner and club DJ, he is one of the few who has literally shaped the sound of modern electronic music, with an inventive career that has spanned 18 years.
Sessions is a culmination of Craig's status as a techno icon, and it is both a look backwards at his role as one of the genre's pioneers and a look forward as one of its stylish visionaries. Sessions fuses new tracks exclusive to this release, alternate mixes of classic Craig tracks from the past two decades (authored under his many aliases: Paperclip People, 69, Innerzone Orchestra, Tres Demented), and several recent remixes of other artists' songs that have quickly become new dance-floor classics.
Even the most devoted fans will find surprises on this release, while new ones will be taken in with Craig's mastery of beats, rhythms and soulful provocations. His new music is moored in his Detroit roots and echoes of his youthful exploration, forming a continuous cycle of energy with his past work. Sessions is a manifestation of that idea, and that is heard as new tracks seamlessly mix with old, generations of rhythms in constant conversation.
01 Directions - Busted Trees (Carl Craig 'Sessions' Remix)
02 Junior Boys - Like a Child (Carl Craig Remix)
03 Rhythm & Sound - Poor People Must Work (Carl Craig Remix)
04 Chez Damier - Help Myself (Reconstructed By Carl Craig)
05 Paperclip People - Throw (Unreleased Version)
06 Beanfield - Tides (Carl Craig 'Sessions' Remix)
07 Paperclip People - Clear and Present
08 Theo Parrish - Falling Up (Carl Craig Remix)
09 Cesaria Evora - Angola (Carl Craig's Mix)
10 Francesco Tristano - The Melody (Carl Craig Remix)
11 Delia Gonzales & Gavin Russom - Revelee (Carl Craig 'Sessions' Remix)
01 69 - Rushed (Original Version)
02 69 - Psychobeat (Previously Unreleased)
03 Xpress2 - Kill 100 (Carl Craig 'Sessions' Remix)
04 Tres Demented - Demented (Or Just Crazy) (Original Version)
05 Faze Action - In the Trees (Unreleased Carl Craig Remix)
06 Tres Demented - Brainfreeze (Carl Craig 'Sessions' Remix)
07 Carl Craig - Futurelovetheme (Carl Craig 'Sessions' Remix)
08 Carl Craig - Sandstorms (Original Version)
09 Innerzone Orchestra - Bug in the Bass Bin (Carl Craig 'Sessions' Remix)
- Scottish Ensemble to perform Alex Smoke's Faust score
- Aphex Twin's Remote Orchestra in the UK this October
- Pandora's Box new live score
- Upload Festival in London, this month
- Die Frau im Mond film screening with live soundtrack by...
- Exquisite Corps - Sacramento based fresh new music
- Mutek 2013 - call for submissions
- Sonar Festival to commence eight city debut tour of North...
- Kontraste festival 2012 in Krems, Austria
- Benny Benassi releases the next Toolroom Knights compilation
- Steve Mac & Mark Brown release new EP
- Most known czech DJane Lucca will release her debut album
- Feature: RPR Sound, A successful story
- Event Report: Border Community at The End, London
- Phone talk with Simian Mobile Disco
January 24, 2008 at 2:34 PM CET