The Original Mix with its pulsing baseline and 90s stabbing techno synth work brings me back to many a memory. The arrangement in this mix is very tight and flows as you would expect, keeping it interesting until the bitter end.
The play between elements on the Anti Climax mix has reminiscences of a Bruce Lee movie, gently pushing at each other to create an ensemble of erratic co-existence. The drum line is almost a reverse of the original, with the stabs and effects dulled down using a low cut-off creating an all more dub feel.
The Antitdote Mix is my favorite of the lot with more than a slight nod towards artists like Jeff Bennett and Jay Tripwire. It's the first of three dub-styled takes on the original that would still work on the dance floor. The grooviest of the five.
The All Points North Mix strips the beats down to a sultry but steady grind while keeping enough BPM to work. Introducing more acidic elements, it twists like a melted curly wurly plodding knowingly into a recently cleaned carpet.
- Various Artists - Great Summergames Stuff
- John Digweed - Transitions vol 3
- GU Mixed
- Yositoshi Miami - mixed by Cedric Cervais
- Fabric 35 - Mixed by Ewan Pearson
- Niki B & Christian E.F.F.E. - The Question / Fatman
- Christian Smith & John Selway - Transit Time
- Matthew Herbert - Score
- Lazy Fat People - Pixelgirl EP
- Steve Porter - Porterhouse 2
- Chris Fortier - Remixes EP 1
- Phonique - Good Idea
- One + One mixed by James Zabiela and Nic Fanciulli
- Global Underground presents Afterhours 3
- DJ T - Lucky Bastard
Fragile Recordings UK
January 26 2007
March 14, 2007 at 2:24 PM CET