Hiroshi Watanabe's London based label Third Ear began the Detroit Beatdown project last year to showcase music inspired by the original spirit and vibe of Detroit. It was on this compilation that Theo Parrish's dreamy 13-minute trip 'Falling Up' was first presented. With this updated version Carl Craig has added his own interpretations via trademark Motor City strings and jazzy keys alongside sparse percussion. And as a result, his remix has reintroduced the Detroit Beatdown project to a whole new audience in considerable style.
'Falling Up' effortlessly integrates Carl Craig's obsessions with darkness and light. The brooding bass structure, minimal percussive touches and renowned claps consume the opening sequences. The introduction of sweet keys and developing strings, together with uplifting horns, in the middle section, compete with the darkness by splashing colour across the composition. It is this competition that generates the unique, dramatic and timeless qualities of Craig's creation.
This is incomparable, stripped down perfection from a truly gifted scientist.
- Various Artists - Great Summergames Stuff
- John Digweed - Transitions vol 3
- GU Mixed
- Yositoshi Miami - mixed by Cedric Cervais
- Fabric 35 - Mixed by Ewan Pearson
- Niki B & Christian E.F.F.E. - The Question / Fatman
- Christian Smith & John Selway - Transit Time
- Matthew Herbert - Score
- Lazy Fat People - Pixelgirl EP
- Steve Porter - Porterhouse 2
- Chris Fortier - Remixes EP 1
- Phonique - Good Idea
- One + One mixed by James Zabiela and Nic Fanciulli
- Global Underground presents Afterhours 3
- DJ T - Lucky Bastard
March 19, 2006 at 6:48 PM CET