'Track 1' of the latest Tomie Nevada EP on Ante Zenit is, in the most simplest of descriptions, excellent. With its off-centre electro riff and chunky 4/4 rhythms, this track is an unrelenting and unstoppable piece of modern funky techno. Mr Nevada has clearly programmed this track for the dancefloor and I can personally confirm that, after seeing Marco Corola play this at his Domino night on the Sunday after Sonar, it does the necessary damage. With many of Europe's techno producers looking to broadening their creative horizons this release shows that, at present, no one is doing it better than at the Zenit camp.
The B side follows a similar pattern but chooses to go deeper, containing a pumping distorted bass line and all the minimal components you would expect from a Minus release, only at about 5 bpm faster. The track grows and grows and by the end it sounds like a collision between both minimal and acid influences, and in a fitting style closes an accomplished release from the heart of the Italian underground.
A 'Track 1'
B 'Track 2'
- Various Artists - Great Summergames Stuff
- John Digweed - Transitions vol 3
- GU Mixed
- Yositoshi Miami - mixed by Cedric Cervais
- Fabric 35 - Mixed by Ewan Pearson
- Niki B & Christian E.F.F.E. - The Question / Fatman
- Christian Smith & John Selway - Transit Time
- Matthew Herbert - Score
- Lazy Fat People - Pixelgirl EP
- Steve Porter - Porterhouse 2
- Chris Fortier - Remixes EP 1
- Phonique - Good Idea
- One + One mixed by James Zabiela and Nic Fanciulli
- Global Underground presents Afterhours 3
- DJ T - Lucky Bastard
July 18 2005
September 8, 2005 at 11:43 AM CEST